Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Custom Built Thread Rack

When I redid my sewing studio, I knew I wanted to design a bigger, better place to store and display my thread.  I wasn't quite sure how I would go about it, until I saw this pile of wood for sale at a thrift store for a couple of dollars.  I think it was from Ikea, made to be used as some sort of weird wooden window covering.  
I started out by painting some of them, but then stopped when 
I realized I didn't really know how many I wanted to use yet.  
I took one long piece of the wood, which would be used as one of the side 'walls', and laid out the shelves next to it.  I left about 2 1/2 inch spaces between the shelves, perfect for most spools of thread.   Using a drill to make a starter holes, or pilot holes for the screws, I went straight into the side 'wall', where it would hit the end of the shelf.  I also used Titebond wood glue to make sure the pieces didn't move at all.  
Next I put a long wood screw into the pilot hole, and let the glue dry for a few minutes.  
I continued this all the way down, until I felt like it was the right size for my wall. 
Then I did the same thing down the second size, making sure to measure each space between the shelves so they would all be even and level.  
I also decided to made the two bottom shelves much wider to make space for large spools of thread.  These two shelves each have 5 inches of thread space.
Almost finished!  
I then painted the remaining pieces, and attached a small picture hanger to the back 
of each side, towards the top.  I made sure to get picture hangers that were 
strong enough to hold the weight of all of this wood hanging on the wall.  
And that was it, pretty simple and straightforward! 
Here is the finished product hanging in my studio:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.